A message from Cameco vice-president Dale Clark
The COVID-19 pandemic presents unprecedented challenges to our organization and our communities. We understand that this evolving situation has many people feeling concerned.
These are challenging times for all of us. Our thoughts are with those here in Ontario, across Canada and around the world who have been directly affected by COVID-19. We would also like to sincerely thank our front-line health care workers and everyone who is working around the clock to help flatten the curve and address the impacts of COVID-19.
As we navigate through these trying times, our top priority continues to be the health and safety of our employees, community and environment.
Cameco has an important role to play in Ontario providing the fuel needed so our nuclear reactors can continue to deliver a stable and reliable supply of electricity to the hospitals, homes, businesses and grocery stores across the province. It’s during these times that we realize the full impact and importance of what we do.
I want to take a moment to provide an update on the actions we are taking at our Ontario sites in Port Hope, Cobourg and Blind River to help keep our operations running safely while protecting our people and our communities. In the past week alone we have swiftly implemented a large complement of protective measures including:
- activation of Local Business Continuity Plans;
- increased sanitization and cleaning frequency;
- site access and screening;
- suspension of non-essential work by visitors and contractors to reduce the amount of people coming into the facilities;
- changes to lunch/break schedules to assist with social distancing;
- suspension of all in-person training;
- suspension of all business travel unless approved by the CEO; and
- working from home where possible.
We are monitoring the situation extremely closely and we continue to follow the guidance of Public Health authorities. We are prepared and we will adapt as necessary to this rapidly evolving situation.
We will keep you updated as things progress, but in the meantime, if you have any questions, we encourage you to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 905.800.2023.
Fuel Services Division