$250,000 COVID-19 Relief Fund

Congratulations to successful applicants and thank you to all the organizations that applied.  You all make our communities better places to live, work and play.

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed lives around the world. We all continue to adapt to a new normal that includes physical distancing and a singular focus on reducing the spread of this virus to save lives.

At Cameco, we too are adapting to the rapidly-changing environment and will continue to do so for as long as it takes. What hasn’t changed at Cameco, however, is our commitment to the Ontario communities where we live, work and play.

We can only imagine the challenges that are facing less fortunate and vulnerable people in our communities. But we do know that we want to help.

That’s why Cameco Fuel Services announced a $250,000 COVID-19 Relief Fund for Northumberland County and Blind River area in Ontario. Grants were made available for any charities and not for profits impacted by COVID-19.

On May 12th, Cameco announced its support for 35 community projects in Northumberland County and the Blind River area in Ontario.

“There are so many organizations in Northumberland County and the Blind River area that do incredible work to help those who need it, and the pandemic has put incredible strain on these organizations,” said Dale Clark, vice president of Cameco’s Fuel Services Division. “We are extremely happy to be able to help these 35 organizations as they navigate through these uncertain times.”

Since mid-March, Cameco has also stepped up to donate surplus 3M half face respirators and cartridges, N95 masks, respirator wipes, goggles and goggle style safety glasses to Northumberland Hills Hospital, and safety glasses were provided to assist the Port Hope Police Services. In Blind River, P100 masks and sanitizer have been donated to Children’s Aid and to the local hospital.

Announced on April 30, the Cameco COVID-19 Relief Fund was open to applications from charities and not-for-profit organizations in Northumberland County and the Blind River area in Ontario. Eligible applicants could seek grants of up to $20,000 to assist in their efforts to overcome the effects COVID-19 has had on their ability to serve their communities and support people in need.

By the submission deadline of May 10, 72 applications had been received seeking more than $1 million in total funding assistance.

“The impact COVID-19 has had on our communities is very real,” said Clark. “I encourage everyone to help out if they can, whether it’s through volunteering or other avenues. We are all in this together, and together we can make a positive difference.”

Cameco COVID-19 Relief Fund Supported Projects:

Northumberland County Organizations Blind River Area Organizations
St John's United Church Blind River Curling Club
Campbellford Memorial Hospital Foundation St. Saviour's Anglican Church
Rebound Child & Youth Services Northumberland Blind River Beavers Jr A Hockey Club
Golden Plough Lodge Blind River Tennis & Pickle Ball Club
Five Counties Children's Centre Huron Pines Golf & Country Club Inc.
Community Care Northumberland Blind River Public School
Legion Village, Branch 133 Rotary Club of Blind River
Northumberland Hills Hospital Foundation Serpent River First Nation
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northumberland Iron Bridge Lions
Transition House Rockhaven School For Exceptional Children
Burnham Public School Spanish Food Bank
Northumberland Fare Share Food Bank Algoma Manor Nursing Home
Northumberland Central Chamber of Commerce
Local Food for Local Good
United Way Northumberland
Saint Vincent de Paul
The Children's Foundation
Métis Nation of Ontario (Northumberland County & Blind River)
Northumberland Food For Thought
Port Hope & District Chamber of Commerce
Green Wood Coalition
Port Hope High School/Dr. Hawkins
Dibaajimowin Cultural Centre

Relief Fund Details:


  • Any charity or not-for-profit in Blind River, Ontario or Northumberland County, Ontario that is impacted by COVID-19 is eligible to apply.
  • Individuals are not eligible.


  • Deadline for applications – midnight, May 10th, 2020.
  • One-time grant of up to $20,000.
  • Request must be directly related to the impact COVID-19 is having on the charity or not-for-profit.
  • Payment will not be made to individuals.
  • A detailed budget must accompany the request.
  • The majority of funds cannot be used for salaries, staff cost, building/infrastructure costs.
  • Financial and impact reporting will be required from funded applicants.
  • Once approved, 75% of the funding will be released immediately; the remaining 25% will be released after reporting is received.


Blind River Northumberland County